Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered a comprehensive overhaul of the country’s security system to address the challenges ahead.
The Presidential Security Adviser, Babagana Munguno, made this known to reporters after the National Security Council meeting at the Aso Rock Palace.
According to Monguno, President Buhari called on the country’s top security chiefs to restructure the country’s security strategy to address security challenges in northwestern and north-central Nigeria.
- Zulum said security forces were spying in an attempt to dismantle the group
- Can Buhari solve the problem of Boko Haram?
Last week, Borno State Governor Babagana Umara Zulum accused the Nigerian military of sabotaging the fight against Boko Haram .
This followed an attack by the group on the governor’s delegation on its way to Baga for a working visit.
On Monday, the League of Nigerian Governors expressed support for Governor Zulum and said it would hold a meeting on security issues with a meeting with President Buhari and the country’s security chiefs.
Failure of military officers
Most Nigerians, security analysts and members of the Federal Parliament are of the view that the continued presence of senior military officers is one of the major obstacles to the fight against Boko Haram.
Security experts such as Barrister Bulama Bukarti are of the view that as long as Nigeria’s top military officers are allowed to remain in office, it will not be possible to tackle the Boko Haram and militant insurgency in the north-west of the country.
“It is clear that the five-year-old military officers have failed. All Nigerians agree that these five-year-old military officers have failed.
“Even the subordinates who are fighting in these areas have come out and explained how their leaders have failed. The people who are being called out have said that the army has failed. The governor has now come out to speak; the National Assembly has decided. “I called on the president to sack these officers but the president ignored them,” said Barrister Bukarti.
He added that although in the past the officers had played a key role in efforts to eradicate Boko Haram, they had now “spent five years doing the same without addressing these issues”.
The presidency has repeatedly said that security forces should not be fired during the war, but security observers say a lack of resources and allegations of corruption are contributing to the deteriorating security situation. it will only be stopped if the security forces move and fresh blood is found.
“There are serious allegations of corruption especially against the senior officers. The junior officers have spoken in secret; they have made videos saying there is a lack of weapons and a lack of care for their welfare,” said Barrister Bukarti.
One of the things that observers are seeing as a setback in the fight against Boko Haram is the alleged incompetence of Nigeria in cooperating with other countries fighting Boko Haram.
According to them, this is why Chadian President Idriss Derby recently threatened to withdraw from the Boko Haram insurgency in the Lake Chad region, where the group has carried out a number of attacks.
Nigerians and security observers alike are watching to see if the dust created by Governor Zulum’s accusations of military involvement in the war against Boko Haram will change the course of the war.
However, security experts warn that if President Buhari completes his second and final term without addressing the Boko Haram crisis, the northern part of the country will be in crisis.